The homepage contains four revolving images. Three images link to a description of a sample search you can do with MenuStat and the fourth links to an infographic based on MenuStat data. The homepage also links to the search engine and information about MenuStat.
There are three ways to search MenuStat:
Search: Tailor your search by selecting one or multiple options from the Food Categories, Restaurants, Dates, and Nutrients filters. The results will appear in a table that can be further refined from the results page.
Graph: Select one food category and one nutrient to compare changes in nutrient values over time and across restaurants.
Quick Search: Enter the name of a menu item or a restaurant to generate a results table that matches those words. For a menu item, enter a word(s) as it would appear in a menu. Searches by a key word or food categories may not be effective.
Results Table: View the results from your search in table format on the right side of the page.
- Sort: Rank any column in ascending or descending order by clicking on the arrows in the table header.
- Individual Menu Item: Click the name of any menu item in the results table to view all available nutrition information and a more detailed description of the menu item.
Refine Your Search: Modify your search by selecting one or more options from the Food Categories, Restaurants, and Dates on the left side of the results page. You can further refine the results by selecting new options from the Nutrients or Menu Item Features filters.
- Nutrients: When a nutrient is selected, a sliding scale appears beneath it. Shift the dials on either end of the scale to modify the menu items that appear in the results table. For example, set the minimum dial on calories to 200 to only see items with over 200 calories in the results table.
- Menu Item Features: Select these options to add or remove menu items that share similar characteristics from the results table. For example, select “On kids menu only” to limit the table to these items.
- Summary Data: View the total number of menu items and restaurants listed in the results table, as well as the average and range of values for each nutrient based on menu items with nutrition information.
Expanded View: This feature can be found in the top right corner of the results page. Click this phrase to see more columns of data.
Export Data: This feature can be found in the top right corner of the results page. Click this phrase to download data as a universal .csv file that can be saved in the format of your spreadsheet software.
- Codebook: View the codebook for a description of the dataset and variables that can be exported.